From Recipe Box
- 3 Large Whole Eggs
- 3 Large Egg Whites
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (approx. 3-4 lemons)
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream, plus 1/2 cup for topping if that's a thing you do.
- Fill a large saucepan with a few inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a large heat-proof bowl, whisk together the 3 whole eggs, 3 egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, the lemon zest, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt.
- Place the bowl over the pan of simmering water and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for about 10-15 minutes. (Once the mixture starts to thicken a tiny bit you may want to switch to a whisk to stir it).
- Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the mixture and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until completely chilled.
- Place the 3 remaining egg whites in a mixing bowl and beat on high speed for 1 minute.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and continue to beat until the whites are stiff. Carefully fold the beaten whites into the cold lemon mixture.
- Place the cream in the same bowl the whites were in and beat on high speed until stiff peaks.
- Carefully fold the whipped cream into the lemon mixture. Chill and serve cold with sweetened whipped cream.